Screencast-O-Matic is a screen capture software that also records a webcam and audio narration using a microphone. This tool has a free version and a paid version. This tutorial focus in the free version of this software, the limits of the free version include a fifteen minute maximum recording with no editing options. Altough these restrictions, students can use very effectively Screencast-O-Matic.
At Screencast-O-Matic's website you can download the free screen recorder and install it on your computer, this tutorial shows you how to get started and an overview of the recording tools.
1. Go to https://screencast-o-matic.com
2. Click on "Start recording for free", you will be taken on the Screen Recorder page.
3. On the Screen Recorder page click on "Launch Free Recorder" button.
- A pop-up windows will appear indicating that the recorder is being launched.
- If nothing prompts from browser, you have the option to download the recorder clicking on the "Download" link.
Within seconds, you will notice the recorder on your screen and you can start recording.
4. You will see a pop up indicating "WebLaunchRecorder". The record screen launches, outlining the record area with a dashed line. Record controls are in the bottom left corner. You can start your screen recording clicking the circle "Rec" red button.
5. There are three options when recording you video. You will find those options on the top of the recorder box.
- Screen - This allows you to record anything within your recording frame.
- Webcam - Your can record your webcam.
- Both - This option allows you to show your webcam and your screen at the same time.
The maximum time to record is 15 minutes.
6. Click the arrow next to the "Size" option. Here you will be able to adjust your recording frame with preset sizes (480p, 720p, 108p, Active Window, Fullscreen) or you can adjust it by dragging the corners and sides of the frame.
7. Click the arrow next to the "Narration" option and select your microphone. If you double click your selected microphone the Microphone Volume panle will pop-up, then talk to the microphone and verify the green slider is actively registering your voice.
The free recorder will only capture narration. To capture computer audio requires an upgrade of this software.
8. To start recording click on the "Rec" button left corner. Screen-O-Matic will start recording your screen after the countdown.
9. When you have finished your video or presentation, click "Pause" button in the lower left corner and then click on the "Done" button to finalize the recording.
10. Once you are finished recording, there are several options you can use in your recording manager.
- Trim - You can trim the beginning or end of your video. Grab the Timeline Handles on the left or right and drag close to the beginning or ending of your video.
- Captions - You can add your own captions to your videos during the publish process. By clicking on "CC" you can add your captions from a prepared text file.
11. There are some options that you can use to save and publish your recordings.
- Save as a Video File - You can save your recording as a video file. You can choose either an MP4, AVI, or FLV video file. You can save your recording in a folder in your computer. Fill out the filename and click Publish.
- Upload to YouTube - Screencast-O-Matic will ask you to confirm your YouTube account, click on "Launch web browser" and follow the steps. After those steps, fill in the information and it will upload to your YouTube account